If you are suffering from minor breathing diseases or disease affecting your lungs, you can consult your regular doctor. However, if your problem of cough, breath shortness, or any other is not reducing in fact, gradually increasing then you must consult a pulmonologist.
Pulmonary doctors or pulmonologists are those who have specialization in treating the disease of the respiratory system.
What type of diseases does a pulmonologist treat?
There are many types of respiratory diseases that a pulmonologist treats such as Asthma, COPD, ILD, Allergy, and others. If you are suffering from breathing diseases like Asthma, then you always need to consult an asthma specialist i.e. a pulmonologist.
Let’s know some of the diseases in little detail:
- Asthma: It is a disease in which the airwaves get inflames and become narrow. It makes harder to breathe.
- COPD: Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease is a group of diseases that includes emphysema and chronic bronchitis.
- ILD: An Interstitial lung disease is also a group of diseases that can cause a scar and makes your lungs stiff.
- Allergy: Allergy is a problem in which our immune system doesn’t protect us from certain particles and response in a way like sneezing, coughing, etc.
- Lung Cancer: As the name indicates, lung cancer occurs in the lungs.
How Pulmonologist diagnose diseases?
There are certain types of tests that a pulmonologist does to identify your disease. These are:
- Blood Tests: Check levels of oxygen and other components in the blood.
- Bronchoscopy: It involves the usage of a thin flexible tube with a camera to see inside the lungs.
- CT Scan: It is an X-ray technique to get detailed images inside the chest.
When you should look for a pulmonologist?
You must look for a pulmonologist if you are suffering from symptoms like:
- A severe cough lasts for more than 2-3 weeks
- Chest pain
- Wheezing or Coughing
- Breathing problem
Where to look for a pulmonologist?
If you are looking for the best treatment of your respiratory diseases then you must consult Dr. Pankaj Gulati at BreathClinic, Jaipur. He is one of the best pulmonologist doctors in Jaipur, and have a proven record of providing successful results to respiratory diseases.